Pafos Gate

Pafos Gate was one of the three gates in the walls built by the Venetians around Lefkosia (Nicosia).

The road beginning immediately outside the gate led southwest to the town of Pafos (Paphos), hence the name. It was also known as ‘Gate of San Domenico’, because it replaced an earlier gate of the Frankish walls, called ‘Porta di San Domenico’ after the nearby abbey of San Domenico.

The gate is a simple affair, an opening in the wall roofed by a barrel vault. During British occupation in 1878, part of the walls between the Gate and the Roccas Bastion was demolished to create a new opening. Pafos Gate Police Station is just above the original gate.

Address: Lefkosia
Operating Period: All year round

Σχετικά Άρθρα


Vrisi A Beach

Vrisi A Beach, a sandy beach located in Paralimni, has water sports on site.


Agios Ioannis Lampadistis Church

Originally a monastery, this complex consists of three churches – Agios Herakleidios, Ioannis Lampadistis and a Latin...


Makronissos Beach - Blue Flag

A cluster of three bays stretching out to the west, the southwest and the southeast form the well-sheltered Makronissos...


Larnaca District Archaeological ...

The museum exhibits findings from the main Neolithic settlements of Choirokitia and Tenta, both located in the district of...